Whom to notify when you move

By Allstate

Last updated: January 1

A change-of-address notification checklist

When you move, people will want to know about it — and not just the friends and family who are usually excited to hear what you're up to. You'll also need to notify the service providers, organizations and government agencies that rely on the most up-to-date information to serve you best. To make sure you don't miss anybody, we asked MyMove.com, the Internet resource for stress-free moving, to put together a handy checklist.

get a personalized insurance quote today

A great rate is just a few clicks away.

Home services + utility

  • Telephone, internet and cable services
  • Gas and electric
  • Home security company
  • Magazine, newspaper and periodical subscriptions
    • TIP: Most magazines and periodicals suggest notifying them about an address change six weeks in advance of the move to avoid missing an issue.
  • Other home delivery services (e.g., bottled water)


  • Friends and family
  • Employer
  • Schools
    • TIP: Don't forget to sign up for new vehicle stickers and residential parking permits, if applicable.
  • Alumni associations
  • Charity and nonprofit organizations
  • Church clubs and organizations
  • Pet licensing (varies by county)

Professional services

  • Attorneys and accountants
  • Tax assessors
  • Insurance company
  • Doctors, dentists, pharmacists and other medical professionals
  • Veterinarian


  • Airline frequent-flyer programs
  • Emergency road service


  • Banks, credit unions and loan companies
  • Credit cards and charge accounts
  • Finance companies and car loans
  • Financial aid office

Government agencies

  • U.S. Postal Services
    • TIP: The USPS will forward mail addressed to your old residence for a full year.
  • Internal Revenue Service
    • TIP: As an additional security measure, not all post offices forward government checks. If you move after filing a tax return but before you get your refund, you will need to fill out Form 8822 and send it to the IRS.
  • Citizenship and Immigration Services (Non-Citizens)
  • Department of Veteran Affairs
  • Voter Registration
    • TIP: When you change your address, your old voter registration card won't be valid anymore, even if you stayed in the same state. Make sure you get a new one so you go to the right polling place and can vote without any holdups.
  • Department/Registry of Motor Vehicles
    • TIP: Many states require by law that you notify the Department of Motor Vehicles about a change of address. Deadlines vary. Virginia requires notificaiton within 30 days of the move, while California needs it within 10 days!
  • Social Security Administration